Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Art Space Talk: John F. Champoli

I recently discovered the art of John F. Champoli and decided to interview him about his paintings. Mr. Champoli creates paintings that appear to be full of texture. Strong marks come together to give form to each of his paintings. The vibrant colors, balanced by the darker, create a visual maze for the viewer. This New York artist channels a great deal of energy into his work.

Q. When did you first discover that art would be an important part of your adult life?

A. "Definately my senior year in college after I took my first painting class and then I changed my major that next week to Art. Before that I was a guitar major."

Q. How has creating art shaped you professionally and personally?

A. "Absolutely- It's like you find out who you really are and what you are meant to do in life- before that it is just a confusing mess of existential funk."

Q. How has society influenced your art? Are there any social implications in your art?

A. "In my curerent installation I am working on society and those around me have certainly influenced my art because it deals with quoting memorable sayings that I have encountered either in the world at large or in my own inner circle of friends and people that I socialize with."

Q. What are your artistic influences? Has anyone inspired you?

A. "My artistic influences are Vincent Van Gogh -enough said. He is the real deal and for me the greatest artist to ever live."

Q. Tell me a little about your background. Are your past experiences reflected in the work you do today? If so, how?

A. "Not in my paintings of wild color but definately in my latest installation piece in which I have quotes on computers and other various technological media such as "If I have to explain my art to you, you are obviously not intelligent enough to buy it." W. Garcia and "The Art world is about Sex and Flourescent Lights" - Kelly Shiulaz"

Concerning my background I come from Queens, NY, raised by my mother and grandmother. I often saw the graffiti murals and "wild styles" in the close by neighborhoods to where I lived and was inspired and fascinated with the colors and the forms of these artists and there risk in that they could be arrested or fined for what they were doing but still did it.I got into some fights of course growing up in Queens, and never had much money but that is what makes me pour myself in my art. Like life - art takes passion and perseverance."

Q. If you could pinpoint the characteristics of people who collect your art, what would they be?

A. "Usually doctors or old hippie types...haha or really really rich people...But I do sell smaller pieces to those who can't afford the bigger ones."

Q. Discuss one of your pieces. What were you thinking when you created it?

A. "The PInultymate PicNIc is the final painting in a series of wildly, colorful abstract paintings based on the Garden of Eden before the fall of mankind and it is my own image of what life was like in a totally Utopian society."

Q. What is your artistic process?

A. "This is confidential but I can say it involves large amounts of acrylic paint and painting with toothbrushes and the pages of Art Forum magazine."

Q. Why did you choose the medium(s) that you use?

A. "Because that's all I know and love."

Q. Do you have a degree or do you plan to attend school for art? If so, how has it helped your art career?

A. "Yes, I go to school - but it has not I believe helped my career in any way."
Q. Where can we see more of your art?

A. "In the NY Gallery guide or on myspace. www.myspace.com/johhny also in shows coming up in Valencia, Spain - Bejing, China - and Broadway Gallery in New York in May."

Q. Are you represented by a gallery? Do you have any upcoming exhibits?
A. "Yes, Patrick's Fine Art - 21 East 62nd Bewtween Madison and Fifth Avenues The exhibition is still currently up. Please contact the gallery for further details and appointments to see the paintings. PatArt21@aol.com"

Q.What trends do you see in the 'art world'?

A. "Conceptualism with little or no Aesthetic beauty"

Q. Any tips for emerging artists?

A."Buy a Chelsea Show, get a website, buy and add in Art Forum for your show and advertise your show in the Gallery Guide"- E. Svitic"

Q. What was the toughest point in your career as an artist? Have you ever hit rock-bottom?

A. "Yes, right now I have hit it and am still sliding into finnancial ruin haha, but what can you do when you do you love."

Q. In one sentence... why do you create art?

A. "Because I have to to feel somewhat normal."

Q. Can we find your art on myartspace.com?

A. "johhny41781"

Q. What can you tell our readers about the art scene in your area?

A. "Ny is wild and money and cash is king- the galleries in NY only look at credentials not art and only care about who you know-"

Q. Is there anything else you would like to say about your art or the 'art world'?

A. "My art is something personal and what I love to do - I will always do it regardless but the art world is a different creature... one of deceit and weapon of mass destruction."

I hope you have enjoyd this interview with John F. Champoli. Feel free to critique or discuss his art.

Take care, Stay true,

Brian Sherwin

No comments: