Sunday, December 17, 2006

Art Space Talk: David Anthony Magitis

I recently interviewed artist David Anthony Magitis. Mr. Magitis creates art using an airbrush, watercolors, and is known for his digital art.This international award winning artist is known for his dark surrealistic style. David's art is brutally honest. His images reveal the darker side of human nature.

The work I observed seemed to take on an almost animalistic nature in the manner in which the human condition was conveyed. Viewers of his work may think David is more of a butcher than an artist. However, just beyond the surface of his work, beyond the captured bloodshed, is a certain social truth that we must not deny.

Mr. Magitis has done work for several authors, such as M.J Hewitt, Johm Lawson, and Peggy Jo Shumate.


Q. When did you first discover that art would be an important part of your adult life?

A. "I guess it was when I couldn't stop. From an early age art has been the most important part of my life. Nothing else seems to come first."

Q. How has creating art shaped you professionally and personally?

A. "My work doesn't really represent who I am on the outside. Im a normal person to many with a quiet and shy personality. I do often suffer bouts of anxiety and depression maybe that shows in my work. Professionally my work has opened many doors for me."

Q. How has society influenced your art? Are there any social implications in your art?

A. "Most of the time I'm stuck in my own little world. I often depict the darker side of the human condition. It's my constant reminder that all is not right within the world."

Q. What are your artistic influences? Has anyone inspired you?

A. "Early days Dali was a big influence I was in total ore of his works, mainly his sketches not his well known oil works. Giger's airbrush work and the surrealist movment."
Q. Tell me a little about your background. Are your past experiences reflected in the work you do today? If so, how?

A. "Born and breed in the U.K good education including college and university. I dont belive that any of my past experiences have had any reflection in my work."

Q. How long have you been a working artist?

A. "Seems like forever, I guess it was about 1999 -2000 when I got really serious prior to that I was doing little bits whilst working as a night security officer".

Q. On average, how long does it take you create one piece?

A. "Not long, 2 days is my most time spent. I get bored easily so like to complete within a day."

Q. Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?

A. "Sort of, I love to listen to music or the T.V whilst working. My smoking also increases and a beer often helps. I do all my pencil and watercolor work lying on the floor, unfortunatly airbrush requires an upright position."

Q. If you could pinpoint the characteristics of people who collect your art, what would they be?

A. "I have to say most of my collectors are very down to earth people. I have more female collectors than male."

Q. What is your artistic process?

A. "Get all of my materials together and go for it!"
Q. Why did you choose the medium(s) that you use?

A. "Airbrush for the speed. Watercolor again for speed. And digital if I cannot be arsed. I'll use anything as long as it doesn't bog me down."

Q. Do you have a degree or do you plan to attend school for art? If so, how has it helped your art career?

A. "I have a degree in Graphic Design. It helps when I do book covers. Other than that I binned the graphic industry the day I graduated."

Q. Where can we see more of your art?

A. "All over the worldwide web. It amazes me where my work turns up."

Q. Are you represented by a gallery? Do you have any upcoming exhibits?

A. "Not currently, exhibits are not my cup of tea, at least not over here. There are not many exhibits here where my work will fit in."

Q. What galleries have you exhibited in? Can you provide links to their sites?

A. "Ive exhibited with the RAW artist festival in London, the Night Gallery in the U.S (collectors exhibit) and I have a permanent artwork showcased at the Beijing Natural Culture centre. (Dont ask very weird!)"

Q. Any tips for emerging artists?

A. "If I can do it anyone can."

Q. Has your work ever been censored? If so, how did you deal with it?

A. "All the time. That's just the way it is."

Q. What was the toughest point in your career as an artist? Have you ever hit rock-bottom?

A. "Im often floating along the bottom. I do tend to miss the rocks though."

Q. In one sentence... why do you create art?

A. "I have to, it's like breathing for me."

Q. What can you tell our readers about the art scene in your area?

A. "It is dead here in the U.K for my kind of work."

Q. Has politics ever entered your art?

A. "I once painted Bush, Sadam and Bin laden holding each others penis."

Q. Is there anything else you would like to say about your art or the 'art world'?

A. "My art is my world, welcome...."

I hope that you have enjoyed my interview with David Anthony Magitis. Feel free to critique or discuss his work.

Take care, Stay true,

Brian Sherwin

1 comment:

kerryshea said...

David: Really enjoyed reading about your process/viewing your fascinating and very original art. Love seeing other artists who aren't afraid to express honest emotions. Thanks. Kerry Shea, CLAY BY SHEA